At Common Ground Free Store Ministries, our volunteers are at the heart of everything we do! Without volunteers, we literally cannot open our doors. We depend on at least 15-20 volunteers to make or serve food, run the store, and take in donations every day we are open.
We invite individuals, families, and groups to sign up to volunteer. Every person, every interest, passion, and skill set can be a part of making a difference! Join our mission today!
Volunteer Opportunities at Common Ground Free Store
The following volunteer opportunities are immediately available! Please contact our Volunteer Manager by text or phone call at 740-417-1285 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also click here to fill out a volunteer application online.
- Help run the store during open hours (Mondays and Tuesdays 5:30-8:30 pm and Wednesdays and Saturdays 9:30-1:15 pm). This includes greeting shoppers, check-in and checkout, kitchen staff, serving food, restocking the store, and processing donations in the warehouse.
- Be a food provider. Each food provider prepares food for 30-40 people.
- Monday or Thursday work crews from 10:00 am-1:00 pm (while store is closed). This opportunity is for people who want to volunteer regularly and like to work behind the scenes. Weekly projects will vary and will consist of tasks that cannot get done while the store is open.
- Miracle on William Street – this is our annual holiday event that happens the first Saturday in December! We need volunteers to set up, help run the actual event, and tear down.
- Fundraising Volunteers – we need volunteers to serve on a committee that plans our annual fundraiser, Fashions and Fixin’s, held in August.
CGFS needs volunteers during the following hours:
- Monday: 10:00am – 1:00pm and 5:30pm – 8:30pm
- Tuesday: 5:30pm-8:30pm
- Wednesday: 9:30am – 1:15pm
- Thursday: 10:00am – 1:00pm
- Saturday: 9:30am – 1:15pm
Yes! CGFS appreciates and welcomes families who want to volunteer together. We do require that children who are in 5th grade and below work directly with their guardian (1 parent/guardian per child). Please also note that younger children sometimes have a hard time volunteering for that long!
PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO COVID-19, we cannot have any volunteers under the age of 12 until further notice.
Yes! CGFS welcomes youth volunteer groups. The largest number of youth that CGFS can accommodate is 15. All youth group volunteers must have completed 5th grade. If there are any middle school aged youth (currently in or entering 6th grade through 8th grade), CGFS requires a ratio of 1 adult for every 5 youth. For high school student groups, a minimum of 2 adults must be present.
An individual youth (not with a group) who wishes to volunteer at CGFS without a guardian present must be 15 years of age and/or started their freshman year of high school.
UPDATE: DUE TO COVID-19, we are unable to accommodate large groups of youth until further notice. We still welcome volunteers 12 years of age and up. 12-14 years old must have a parent/guardian with them, and 15 years and up are welcome to volunteer without a parent/guardian.
CGFS welcomes community service volunteers (Under age 15 requires a parent/guardian to volunteer with them). CGFS accepts community service volunteers for the following reasons:
- Organizational (churches, social groups, etc.)
- Court-ordered. Please note, however, that CGFS will not allow community service for people with the following offenses:
- Sexual assault or predation
- Violent crimes
CGFS reserves the right to turn anyone away for court-ordered community service.